online application for renewal of full driving licence
renewing your full driving licence is now easy and convenient with the online service offered by the transport department. here are the details, including the costs and supporting documents for the application.
renewing full driving licence online
if you hold a full driving licence and are below the age of 70 (according to the start date of the new driving licence), you can renew it online.online application for full driving licence renewal
if you wish to pay through this e-service on a device with kaspersky internet security software installed, you should include the link of this e-service (https://eapps1.td.c9w1.com and https://eapp2.td.c9w1.com) to kaspersky safe money list (https://help.kaspersky.com/kis/2018/en-us/82231.htm) to avoid the potential error message [pay-e-0000] when making payments. in case the message does appear, you should check with transport department at 2804 2600 on the payment status by quoting your transaction reference number.
when should i apply?
you can renew your full licence online if it is due to expire within the next 4 months or has expired within the past 3 years. licences that expired more than 3 years ago cannot be renewed. in that case, if you wish to obtain a new full driving licence, you will have to obtain a learner’s driving licence and take a road test again. you will, however, be exempted from the written test.more on full driving licence
full driving licence with commercial vehicle class(es)
with the road traffic (driving licences) regulations coming into effect on 10 march 2008, an applicant applying for new issue, renewal or addition of a full driving licence with commercial vehicle classes must be:
- a holder of a hong kong permanent identity card; or
- a holder of other types of hong kong identity card other than the hong kong permanent identity card; and not be subject to any condition of stay other than a limit of stay as defined in section 2(1) of the immigration ordinance (cap.115).
how much will it cost?
the fee to renew a full driving licence for holders aged 60 or below is hk$900, with a validity period of 10 years.more on fees and charges for driving licences aged above 60
what do i need to prepare before application?
before you start the application, you should have the following ready:
- a valid personal digital certificate issued by recognised certification authorities or renewal password issued by the transport department for authentication.
- either a credit card (visa, mastercard, jcb or china unionpay) or a pps account number and internet password for payment. visa, mastercard and jcb offer additional security programs to give their cardholders extra protection when they make online payments. you must register in advance with verified by visa (vbv), mastercard® securecodetm or j/securetm.
- a printer to print out a hard copy of the acknowledgement page.
- an image file of the hong kong permanent identity card (for renewal of full driving licence with commercial vehicle class(es)).
- an image file of proof of present address which is issued not more than 3 months from the date of submitting application. details of acceptable address proof can be referred to the following link.
upon successful renewal, the transport department will send your new licence to your correspondence address by registered post within 10 working days.
if you have not received the full driving licence 4 weeks from the date of submission, please call 1823 for follow up action.more on govhk online payment servicesmore on system requirements for govhk online services
if you need more information about the online application service, you may call 1823. other useful information can be found through the following links.faqs about online application for renewal of full driving licencemore on renewing a full driving licence